Lauren and Dudley

Lauren and Dudley
Lauren Snider and The Provost

Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Midsouth: The Best Weekend Ever....Almost

Wow, I can't believe Midsouth has already come and gone, but let me tell you as of last Wednesday and Thursday I thought it would never be over!  As I unloaded Snoopy at the Horse Park Tuesday night we got a hail storm and that was pretty much how it went for the next 2 1/2 days!  I've never been so cold, wet, and miserable in my whole life.  I think if we hadn't known the weather was going to improve several of us would've packed up and gone home!  The wind and rain were relentless and despite the fact that I wanted to be snuggled up in the bed, Snoop had to have his 25 walks per day plus 2 rides.  The weather didn't seem to bother him a bit and he could care less that his mother was turning into a human Popsicle.

Snoop handled the week very well, although he was definitely confused by the fact that after a few days away from home he hadn't really done anything.  He also didn't quite understand why he was walking around an indoor barn at the Alltech Arena waiting to jog with 25 other horses!  Pretty sure he thought that was all quite silly, as did my husband, Scott.  Neither one of them could really quite figure out what the fuss was all about!   He passed with flying colors.


By the time dressage rolled around he was nearly unmanageable.  Our warm-up was a bit of a catastrophe, but I have to say he really did settle down and listen to me in the show ring.  It wasn't the best test he's capable of, but close enough for a very respectable score of 40 to put us in 18th out of 36 horses, only 7 points off the lead.  Not too shabby Snoops!  Middle of the pack was my goal after dressage so I was happy.  The steeplechase school we did about 3 hours before the test certainly didn't help is relaxation any, but it was well worth it come Saturday.

All I can really say about the endurance phase is "what an awesome horse!"  He ate up the 'chase and xc like they were nothing and was ready for more at the finish.  He was so bold and his confidence was at an all-time high.  It was a very cool feeling!  My little horse is actually turning into the horse I know he can be!  We added nothing to our dressage score to move all the way up to 12th!  The icing on the cake was yet to come though.  As we were cooling Snoops out after xc, Samantha Clark asked if I would do an interview about Snoop for EN.  Of course!!  She'd had her eye on him all week, but I mean who wouldn't.  He's just that sexy and he knows it!  It was a very cool experience and I'm grateful to her for allowing me to share with the world how special I think my little munchkin really is!  You can see the interview at this link: http://eventingnation.com/samanthalclark/2011/10/lauren-snider-and-route-66.html

He passed the jog Sunday morning easily and then the LONG wait until show jumping.  I never thought 3:00 would ever come.  He warmed-up great and didn't feel tired at all.  He was jumping better than ever.  I rode the best sj ride on him that I ever have and he jumped fantastic, but got too bold to both combinations and pulled the B element of each simply because he ran out of room.  He used to be spooky at combos and now that he's so bold the tight distances are even tight for him.  We'll fix that over the winter.  While it was very disappointing to get that close to a ribbon (would've been 6th with a clean ride) he far exceeded my expectations.  I am beyond thrilled with the little guy.  I did the long format 3day to answer some questions about my horse and got the answers I was hoping for every time and then some.  Very exciting for his future.

I have to say thank you soooo much to everyone who helped us at the event including my wonderful husband Scott and student Tracy Stamper and everyone else who has helped get Snoop where he is today.  It hasn't been an easy road and it literally has taken a village to get him this far.  Also, a very special thanks to Dr. Laura Werner and Dr. Michele Frazer.  Without these two wonderful ladies we may still be going BN!  Thank you!!!!  Hopefully the journey has just begun.

Finally, did I mention that I also made some wonderful new friends and had a blast all the way around?  Well I did and it was awesome.  Spending the week with Nicolette Merle-Smith and her super pony Zena and super groom Maggy, as well as Sue Jellum and Grace made my week!  It was great to have such cool neighbors.  I have a great pic, but being as I am a very green iPhone user I haven't figured out how to upload it!  I will keep trying.  Until then GO EVENTING!

***ALL photos on this post courtesy of Xpress Foto!!!!******

No comments:

Post a Comment